Tuesday, July 20, 2004

 

Why don't I have an iPod yet?

According to Newsweek, they're "a life-changing cultural phenomenon."
Steve Jobs noticed something earlier this year in New York City. "I was on Madison," says Apple's CEO, "and it was, like, on every block, there was someone with white headphones, and I thought, 'Oh, my God, it's starting to happen'." Jonathan Ive, the company's design guru, had a similar experience in London: "On the streets and coming out of the tubes, you'd see people fiddling with it." And Victor Katch, a 59-year-old professor of kinesiology at the University of Michigan, saw it in Ann Arbor. "When you walk across campus, the ratio seems as high as 2 out of 3 people," he says.

They're talking about the sudden ubiquity of the iPod, the cigarette-box-size digital music player (and its colorful credit-card-size little sister, the Mini) that's smacked right into the sweet spot where a consumer product becomes something much, much more: an icon, a pet, a status indicator and an indispensable part of one's life. To 3 million-plus owners, iPods not only give constant access to their entire collection of songs and CDs, but membership into an implicit society that's transforming the way music will be consumed in the future. "When my students see me on campus with my iPod, they smile," says Professor Katch, whose unit stores everything from Mozart to Dean Martin. "It's sort of a bonding."
I have no desire to be that hip. This kind of talk usually turns me away from the product being praised. And yet I still want one. The price tag's a little steep, but if you think of it not as a music as a portable hard drive that doubles as a music player, then maybe it's not so bad. In fact, it's downright useful. (Unlike, say, the Gigapet.)

But "life changing"? No, . . . I don't think so.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?